As men age, they may experience a range of hormone changes, much as women are commonly known to face during menopause. While some of these changes are a natural part of the aging process, others may be the result of a condition known as male menopause, also referred to as andropause.
What Is Male Menopause (Andropause)?
Male menopause is caused by a decrease in the production of the hormone testosterone. Researchers at the Cleveland Clinic estimate that testosterone decreases by about 1% each year after the age of 30 or 40. This decline in testosterone production can cause a range of symptoms that may affect a man’s physical, emotional and sexual health.
Unlike menopause which starts when a woman is no longer able to get pregnant, andropause does not shut down the male reproductive system, men can still be fertile. However, men may notice some sexual symptoms as a result of declining hormone levels, or they may not notice any significant symptoms or changes at all.
What Are the Symptoms of Male Menopause?
While all women go through menopause at some point, not all men will go through noticeable male menopause. The symptoms of male menopause can vary from person to person, but signs may include some or all of the following:
- Decreased sex drive: A decrease in testosterone levels can cause a reduction in sex drive or libido. Men may also experience difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection, leading to sexual problems.
- Fatigue: Lower testosterone levels can lead to feelings of tiredness and low energy. Men may also experience a decrease in physical stamina and endurance.
- Mood changes: Men may experience mood swings, irritability and depression as a result of low testosterone levels. These symptoms can have a significant impact on a man’s emotional well-being and quality of life.
- Hot flashes: Similar to what women experience during menopause, men can experience hot flashes, sweating and flushing. These symptoms can be uncomfortable and disruptive.
- Loss of muscle mass: Testosterone helps to build and maintain muscle mass. Men with low testosterone levels may experience a decrease in muscle mass and strength. This can also lead to a decrease in bone density, which can increase the risk of osteoporosis and fractures.
- Decreased cognitive function: Some studies suggest that low testosterone levels may be associated with a decrease in cognitive function, including memory and concentration. This can impact men’s work, relationships and overall quality of life.
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping: Sleep disturbances, including difficulty falling or staying asleep, can also be a symptom of male menopause. This can further contribute to feelings of fatigue and low energy.
- Gynecomastia, or the development of breasts: In some cases, low testosterone levels can lead to an increase in estrogen levels, which can cause the development of breast tissue in men. This condition is known as gynecomastia.
- Erectile dysfunction: Low testosterone levels can also impact a man’s ability to achieve or maintain an erection. This can lead to sexual problems and can have a significant impact on a man’s emotional well-being and quality of life.
- Infertility: In some cases, low testosterone levels can also lead to a decrease in sperm production, which can impact fertility.
- Lowered self-confidence: Low testosterone levels can also impact a man’s self-confidence and self-esteem. Men may feel less confident in their physical abilities, appearance and sexual performance.
- Increased body fat: Testosterone plays a role in regulating body fat distribution. Men with low testosterone levels may experience an increase in body fat, particularly around the midsection.
- Loss of body hair: Testosterone also plays a role in regulating hair growth. Men with low testosterone levels may experience a loss of body hair, particularly on the chest and face.
- Feelings of physical weakness: Men with low testosterone levels may experience feelings of physical weakness, which can impact their ability to complete daily tasks and engage in physical activities.
- Decreased motivation: Men with low testosterone levels may experience a decrease in motivation and interest in activities they once enjoyed. This can be particularly challenging as it can affect their work, relationships and overall sense of purpose.
While these symptoms can be frustrating and uncomfortable, it’s important to note that they are a natural part of the aging process. However, if these symptoms are significantly impacting your quality of life, symptom relief options should be discussed.
Treatment Options for Male Menopause
While there is no cure for male menopause, there are several treatment options available to help manage the symptoms associated with this condition:
- Lifestyle changes: Simple lifestyle changes like eating a healthy diet, getting regular exercise and managing stress can help improve symptoms of male menopause. A healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein can help improve energy levels and maintain a healthy weight. Exercise can help improve muscle strength and endurance while reducing the risk of chronic conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Managing stress through relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga can also help improve overall well-being.
- Counseling or therapy: If mood changes or depression are severe, counseling or therapy may be recommended. This can be particularly helpful for men who are struggling with the emotional impact of male menopause.
- Medications: Medications may be prescribed to help with symptoms like erectile dysfunction, depression or hot flashes. However, it’s important to discuss any potential side effects with your healthcare provider.
If you have tried prescription medication options unsuccessfully, you don’t want to take them or you can’t take them due to health reasons, there are still viable treatment options including Hormone Replacement Therapy
What Is Hormone (Testosterone) Replacement Therapy?
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, or BHRT, helps men regain and then maintain their natural, optimal testosterone level. The testosterone that we give you contains the same chemical structure as the hormones that are already in your body. Now, we are able to re-introduce them into your body, where they will immediately begin to improve your health and energy. Since these testosterone supplements are identical to the hormones you already have, they have almost no side effects.
What is the Benefit of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
BHRT restores men’s testosterone levels to their natural youthful levels. You’ll be surprised at how much energy, strength and sexual function you regain when taking BHRT. Other benefits can include:
- Reduced body fat
- Weight loss
- Increased energy
- Lower anxiety
- Increased muscle mass and strength
- Boosted sexual performance and desire
- Improved memory and mental clarity
- Increased libido
How Do I Begin BHRT?
KC Medical & Wellness Center can help you improve your quality of life with our BHRT treatment for low testosterone. You’ll first talk to one of our doctors about your symptoms and concerns, and then we will take a full medical history followed by a physical exam and blood testing to determine your current testosterone level. We will then implement a program that includes BHRT, and you will return to our office for regular follow-up visits so that we can monitor your progress. You’ll soon feel more like your old self and will reap the benefits of this hormone replacement therapy: increased energy and libido, renewed strength and great mental focus.
Your First Visit for Bioidentical Hormone Treatment
When you visit KC Medical & Wellness Center, we will set aside time to talk to you about your overall health, including your health history and the changes you’ve experienced with the onset of andropause. Then, we will give you a comprehensive medical exam and blood tests that will help us determine your customized plan designed just for your body. After your treatment begins, we will ask you to return to our center for weekly, bi-weekly or monthly follow-up appointments.
Consult KC Wellness
When it comes to complete wellness, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. It is a personal matter requiring an individualized plan to fit your needs and lifestyle. But for many people, without guidance and support from outside resources, successfully meeting your wellness and weight-loss goals can be a challenging process. At KC Wellness, we have a holistic approach. We help you stay on course to follow a realistic and consistent eating pattern, take any vitamins in which you may be deficient and get regular physical activity. We focus on lifestyle changes that encourage safe and sustainable results.
If you are ready to see how regenerative medicine options can improve your health and well-being, then KC Wellness may be precisely what you are looking for. Our doctors and staff are always available to answer any questions and provide guidance along the way to help you succeed. You can also check out our BHRT services for men to learn more about what we do. Reach out to our team today to see how we can help you in your health and wellness journey. Call us at 816-214-5276 or contact us here. There’s no reason to wait — let us help you feel your very best every day.
You can also check out our comprehensive guide to medical weight loss. You can see all of our services HERE.