When it comes to weight loss, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. It’s a very personal matter that requires an individualized plan to fit your needs and lifestyle. But for many people, without guidance and support from outside resources, successfully meeting weight loss goals (and keeping it off) can be a daunting challenge.
On the other hand, those who use medical weight loss tend to have a higher success of reaching their goals. In fact, about 90% of our patients have lost the amount of weight that they wanted and have kept it all off. Keep reading to learn the ins and outs of our medical weight loss program.
Why Medical Weight Loss?
The CDC reports that during 2017-2018, 17% of Americans said they were on a diet, up from 14% in the previous decade. Despite this, the obesity rate has continued to climb across the United States steadily. Obesity is a severe chronic condition leading to other health conditions, including Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some cancers. In the United States, obesity prevalence hit over 40% in 2018, more than a 10% increase in eight years. Severe obesity also nearly doubled in the same period. Compared to the nation, Kansas is among the states with the highest self-reported obesity rates, with Missouri close behind.
Even reducing your overall body weight by 5%, or 10 pounds for a 200-pound individual, can present many health benefits. Extra weight, especially fat, takes a toll on joint health by adding excess pressure, quicker wear and tear, and increased inflammation. It can also help prevent Type 2 diabetes along with exercise to gain better control of blood sugar and lower the chances of developing further health issues. Exercise and lowering body fat also give your ‘good’ cholesterol a bump and reduce heart disease chances.
Medical weight loss is an effective strategy for weight loss through the help of a health care professional. The overall goal is to not only find the underlying cause of your weight gain but also establish maintainable habits for the long run. A customized weight loss plan could include a combination of medications, supplements and meal plans or involve further treatment, such as lipotropic injections, to achieve incredible results.
Your doctor will develop a realistic plan to help you achieve your individual goals by focusing on nutrition, activity levels, and lifestyle changes using knowledge and expertise. Other tools may also include adding supplements and incorporating other healthy behaviors.
The process begins with an initial consultation with our doctors and professional office staff that offer decades of experience. We discuss your health history in detail, perform a comprehensive physical examination and conduct thorough laboratory testing. Blood tests help identify any imbalances in your thyroid or reproductive and stress hormones, impacting your ability to lose weight. These tests also look at insulin resistance markers. Fat storage will increase if markers are chronically high and the body becomes resistant to insulin. In addition, inflammation and general health markers are examined, including anemia, vitamin D status, lipid panel, blood count levels and protein sensitivity. The first step is to find the underlying cause of your weight gain so we can create a customized plan that is the most appropriate and effective for you and your lifestyle.
Patients can make several lifestyle changes to address obesity and oftentimes reverse prediabetes. Common things our medical professionals will incorporate into your comprehensive and customized plan include:
- Identifying small, measurable goals: Start by shifting the sole focus from losing weight to making health improvements. This strategy can help reframe the mindset into a positive space, leading to longer-lasting results. Patients should also identify small, measurable goals that they are willing to do and maintain within a specific time frame to monitor progress better.
- Diet management: We provide nutritional counseling, guides for medication and supplements, detailed shopping lists, meal plans, recipes and weekly progress reports. By planning out meals ahead of time, you can better monitor nutritional values and adjust accordingly to meet your goals. Aim for a well-balanced diet to ensure nutrient intake from each food group in the correct portions. Check out our blog on National Nutrition Month for a deep dive into your daily nutrition recommendations and how to get started with a diet high in whole, fiber-rich foods.
- Physical fitness: It is encouraged for patients with obesity to improve cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition and muscular fitness through aerobic and muscle-building exercises. Start with just 10 minutes of exercise and slowly increase the duration as the body allows.
- Hydration: Drinking enough water every day provides an abundance of health benefits, including regulation of body temperature, lubrication of joints, prevention of infections, delivery of nutrients to cells, functioning of organs as well as the improvement of sleep quality, cognition and mood.
- Sleep patterns: Adults consistently getting less than seven hours of sleep have shown increased weight gain, a body mass index of 30 or higher, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke and depression. The lack of sleep may lead to fatigue and less physical activity. Additionally, research suggests an association between sleep restriction and negative changes in metabolism. Click here to read more about how sleep affects weight loss.
The initial phase of our medical weight loss program focuses on medication, supplements and meal plans. We also utilize additional treatments to achieve quick and impressive results where necessary, including:
- Lipotropic injections: These injectables include various vitamins, nutrients and other ingredients helpful in metabolizing fatty acids from foods in the liver. As a result, the fatty acids will be degraded and utilized by the body very quickly rather than stored as fat. Common vitamins include B-12, B-6, B complex, Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), L-carnitine, phentermine.
- Prescription appetite suppressants: Doctors may prescribe an appetite suppressant after a physician evaluation. Some medications help you feel less hungry or full sooner, while others may make it harder for your body to absorb fat from consumed foods. These are usually for those with a BMI of 30 or higher, or a BMI of 27 or higher and weight-related health problems, such as high blood pressure or Type 2 diabetes. Key factors to consider include the likely benefits of weight loss, possible side effects, current health issues, other medications, family medical history and cost.
- Weight loss coaching by our staff includes weekly weight loss progress monitoring, counseling and nutrition advice. We can provide more in-depth strategies for any obstacles you may face along the way. We are available by phone or email outside of office hours for convenience.
- We utilize pharmaceutical-grade nutritional supplements for purity and potency to aid in weight loss, increased energy and long-term health. These supplements are made from high-quality ingredients with rigorous quality standards to provide you with premium dietary supplements.
One of the most challenging parts of weight loss is keeping it off after it’s gone. At KC Wellness Center, we also teach you how to maintain a healthy weight effectively. We are proud to say that about 90% of our patients have achieved their weight loss goal and kept the weight off successfully. They have also seen improvement in chronic conditions such as decreased blood pressure, vanishing Type 2 diabetes and lower cholesterol readings.
Stay on course by following a realistic and consistent eating pattern. Those who have lost weight and kept it off for at least a year continued to eat a diet lower in calories than their pre-weight loss diet. Engage in 60 to 90 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity throughout the week. Monitor weight regularly in case adjustments are needed in your diet or activity level. Lastly, lean on a support system when you may get off track. Our professionals will help you with these aspects and advise when you feel stuck.
If you desire to regain control of your life through sustainable weight loss, then medical weight loss may be exactly what you need. Our doctors and staff are always available to answer any questions and provide guidance along the way to help you succeed. Still have questions about our medical weight loss program? Reach out to our team to see how we can help you in your weight loss journey, call us at 816-214-5276.