According to the CDC, approximately 50 million adults in the United States deal with chronic pain daily. Chronic pain can cause more than just physical pain — it often takes a toll on one’s quality of life. It can interfere with daily activities, such as working, maintaining a social life or taking care of yourself. It can lead to depression, anxiety, sleep issues and more. However, advancements in science have made it possible to help patients dealing with joint pain in the shoulders, knees, wrists and other extremities through regenerative medicine.
The practice of regenerative medicine seeks to replace tissue or organs that have been damaged by disease, trauma or congenital issues. Our bodies possess the natural ability to heal themselves in many ways. For example, we naturally heal from cuts to the skin or broken bones. Regenerative medicine takes that same process and accelerates it in a clinically relevant way.
The traditional clinical strategy focuses on primarily treating the symptoms. In contrast, regenerative medicine goes beyond disease management to search for and discover therapies that support the body in repairing, regenerating and restoring itself to a state of well-being. It can eliminate the need for invasive surgery and encourage healing by activating your own stem cells so that mobility and function can be restored. The Association for the Advancement of Blood and Biotherapies estimates that approximately one in three Americans could potentially benefit from regenerative medicine.
Regenerative Medicine and Chronic Disease
Many common chronic diseases begin with harmful cell depletion. According to The Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine (ISCRM), Alzheimer’s disease is associated with a loss of brain cells, a loss of healthy heart muscle often indicates heart disease and Type 1 diabetes occurs when cells in the pancreas fail to produce insulin. By increasing cell generation, the body may have a better chance of fighting off chronic disease.
The regeneration process occurs at three levels: molecular with DNA, fats and carbohydrates; cellular with neurons and axons; and tissue with blood, skin, bone and muscle. This treatment as a whole is used to negate many root causes of disease by utilizing the body’s natural capacity to repair itself at different levels and restore normal functioning. Other therapies and conditions that can benefit from regenerative medicine include cardiovascular tissue repair, brain injury tissue repair, immune system improvement, cell therapy, skin wounds, certain cancers and organ transplants.
Concentrations in the Field of Regenerative Medicine
There are several different biomedical approaches to clinical therapies that may involve stem cells. Combinations of these approaches can amplify our healing processes and even take over the function of a damaged organ. The McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine outlines some of the typical concentrations in the field:
- Tissue engineering evolved from the field of biomaterials and refers to the practice of combining scaffolds, cells and biologically active molecules into functional tissues. These materials are planted into the body where new tissue is needed and the body’s healing properties will begin to send cells to that area.
- Cellular therapies harvest adult stem cells from blood, fat, bone marrow, dental pulp, skeletal muscle and cord blood. It can then be injected at the diseased or damaged tissue site. If the circumstances are right, reconstruction of the tissue is feasible.
- Immunomodulation therapy is the administration of biologically active molecules alone or as secretions by infused cells to regulate solid organ function.
- Organ replacement may be a necessary measure through a transplant if the organ is too far gone to function, but it can be difficult to find the right match quickly. In these cases, health-care professionals may use medical devices or artificial organs to help the body function properly.
As research continues, the field of regenerative medicine and cellular therapies will continue to merge and expand, potentially treating many diseases and improving overall health for various health conditions.
Regenerative Medicine Services in Kansas City
Our center offers a variety of regenerative medicine services to help patients regain their freedom to enjoy life again and get back to doing the things they love. We can help address concerns associated with fluctuating hormone levels, menopause and sexual dysfunctions.
- BHRT for Men: Men of all ages can experience decreased testosterone levels. As they get older, they often hear that they should start expecting various symptoms, including lost strength, higher body fat, decreased energy, and diminished libido. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) helps men regain and maintain natural, optimal testosterone levels. The therapy involves testosterone made from the same chemical structure found in hormones already present in the body. By reintroducing them into the body, they can improve overall health and energy. Click here to read about more ways to improve men’s overall health.
- BHRT for Women: As women age, their hormones become unbalanced as certain hormonal levels drop. They may experience hot flashes, weight gain, decreased libido, insomnia, depression, joint pain, dry skin and more. As with BHRT for men, we can safely reintroduce the identical chemical structure into the body and restore health, vitality and function while erasing acute and chronic conditions that result from hormone drops. Any woman who experiences symptoms relating to hormonal imbalance is a candidate for BHRT. Women who are peri-menopausal, menopausal and post-menopausal are more likely to suffer from hormonal imbalance and benefit from this therapy. Click here to keep reading about menopause and its effects on women’s health.
- E.D. Treatment: Erectile dysfunction is one of the most common sex-related issues men face. Approximately 30 million men experience it in the United States. The condition is characterized by the inability to develop or maintain erections during sexual activity. Many of the available treatments do not yield positive results without side effects. Our E.D. treatment involves a complete and comprehensive rejuvenation program to fully restore circulation and function with a blend of plasma, growth factors and other natural fluids with healing capabilities. Unlike other erectile dysfunction medications, this therapy treatment is tailor-made and budget-friendly to reverse the condition adversely affecting one’s intimate life.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Therapy Treatment: Sexual dysfunction is also prevalent among women, affecting about 30% to 40% of the female population. As the body experiences various physical, psychological and hormonal changes every few years, a woman’s libido can greatly be impacted. PRP Therapy provides lasting results in the shortest time frame without undesirable side effects to combat low libido at different stages of life. Our process begins with the extraction of a small blood sample that is broken down into its various components and platelets are separated. The platelet-rich plasma is extracted from the sample and injected around the ‘O-Spot,’ which contains several active structures in sexual arousal and sensation. The growth factors begin work repairing and regenerating tissues while also improving blood flow to the injected area. Many women experience an increase in their sexual response within the first few days after treatment. Over a few weeks after the first administration, many reported an increase in natural lubrication, decreased urinary incontinence, decreased pain associated with intercourse, and stronger and more frequent orgasms.
Why Choose KC Wellness Center
At KC Wellness, we use the latest proven scientific breakthroughs to help patients experience relief by activating the body’s own healing properties. Our team is compassionate and experienced in using non-invasive solutions to find and alleviate the root causes of pain or discomfort. We have helped many men and women regain control over their health. Now it’s time for you to feel like the best version of yourself by bringing your vitality to the forefront. To find out if our regenerative medicine solutions are for you, give us a call at 816-214-5276 or contact us here.
“When I found Dr. Richardson I was experiencing terrible hot flashes, mood swings and was just tired every day. I had a hard time sleeping at night and a hard time getting out of bed every morning. Even though my diet has not changed, I have gained 22 pounds in one year. Dr. Richardson placed me on a hormone replacement regimen four weeks ago and my energy levels have improved, I am sleeping through the night most nights, my hot flashes have disappeared and I have lost 12 pounds! I am feeling like a new person already. My husband and I cannot thank Dr. Richardson enough. For anyone out there wondering if there is a solution to all that comes with menopause, there absolutely is!”
Read about others’ experiences with regenerative medicine here!