All About Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Benefits for Aging Men
As a man grows older, his body begins to produce less testosterone. This is a natural element of the aging process, but it can unfortunately lead to a lot of health problems in older men. Testosterone replacement therapy has been shown to give older men an improved quality of life by easing a number of age-related symptoms.
The Benefits of Testosterone Therapy
- Increased Libido
A loss of sex drive is one of the biggest complaints that older men have about aging, and testosterone injections can provide a remedy. While increasing libido is a complex task that usually requires a multifaceted approach, adequate testosterone is a huge piece of the puzzle.
- Enhanced Mood
Depression is tied to low T. Recovering your hormone levels can provide a great boost to your mood.
- Healthier Muscles and Metabolism
Healthy testosterone levels have been tied to increased muscle mass and strength. Not only will you notice more stamina during your workouts, but you’ll also experience a faster metabolism and have an easier time burning fat.
- Better Heart Health
Testosterone therapy has been shown to reduce cholesterol levels and help the heart muscles become more elastic. If you use the increase in energy to exercise, you’ll experience a greater boost in heart health.
- Better Concentration and Assertiveness
An odd symptom of low T is difficulty speaking up for yourself or making decisions. Some men have noticed that it’s easier to feel confident and assertive after having their testosterone balanced.
- Improved Bone Density
Healthy levels of testosterone can reduce age-related bone loss.
Types of Testosterone Treatments
Testosterone can be delivered in a variety of ways. Your doctor will decide which method is best for your situation.
- Pellets: These contain time-release testosterone and are placed in the soft tissues beneath the skin. The testosterone is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream over a period of about 6 months.
- Injections: Your doctor will inject the testosterone directly into your muscle. Injections are usually performed on a weekly basis.
- Patches: These work similarly to pellets, but they are placed on the surface of the skin. You can generally expect to use one patch per day.
- Gel: This option is much like the patch, except it’s applied to and absorbed through the skin.
Expectations for Testosterone Replacement Therapy
You might be wondering how long it will take to see results. We understand that low T can be frustrating to deal with. The good news is that the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy will be experienced quickly. Although it will not cure all your problems after just one treatment you may experience some relief of your symptoms. Hormones are delicate, and it sometimes takes a while to find the optimal dosage for each individual patient. Most patients begin seeing improvements between 3-10 days. Getting regular checkups and blood work is a crucial part of a trt program. Your doctor needs to see exactly what’s going on with your hormone levels.
For more information about testosterone therapy, please contact us today.